Healthy organic meals may conjure images of rabbit food. Here is a delicious, quick and one-skillet-easy recipe that begs to differ.
Nourishing foods are the core of good health, and there's no better place to start than with quality organic ingredients. Your tastebuds will be happy, and so will your body.
What You’ll Need
Always choose organic ingredients when possible.
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large and 2 medium apples (Royal Gala is the perfect choice)
- 2 large heads broccoli, or, 2 packages of pre-cut broccoli florets
- 1 container of "Boursin”® Light Garlic and Fine Herb Gournay Cheese"
- 1 large head of green loose leaf lettuce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large covered skillet
- Fresh pepper
- Celtic Sea Salt®
How To Prepare
1. Separate the lettuce leaves from the head then rinse the leaves, apples, berries and broccoli and set aside on mesh screen or paper towels to dry.
2. Gently cover the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil then heat the skillet.
3. Lightly pepper the chicken breasts on both sides and place them in the skillet (top side down) to cook at medium-high heat. Do not cover.
4. While chicken is cooking, core and slice the large apples and set aside.
5. When chicken has cooked until the pink in the middle is turning white (about 6 minutes), turn the breasts over.
6. After the chicken has cooked on the flip side (about 4 minutes) and is nearly done, add the apple slices and broccoli. Cover the skillet and allow broccoli and apples to steam inside for a few moments at medium-low heat while you cover your serving platter with the lettuce leaves.
7. Remove skillet cover and dollop the cheese throughout the skillet until you have used all the cheese.
8. Replace cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes or until broccoli and apples are fork tender.
9. After simmer, use tongs to remove the chicken then gently stir all remaining ingredients in the skillet.
10. Once the cheese is completely integrated in the food, the meal is ready.
11. Place chicken breasts in a four corners pattern atop the lettuce leaves on the serving platter.
12. Using a slotted spoon, scoop apples and broccoli from the skillet, taking care to allow excess oil to drain from the spoon, then fill the center of the serving plate with the cheesy apple and broccoli mixture.
13. Core and wedge the medium apples and feather the wedges around the edge of the serving platter between the chicken breasts. Sprinkle the dark berries around the platter.
Provide the table with Celtic Sea Salt® and fresh ground pepper for seasoning to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Tips For a Great, Healthy Meal
Due to its limited excretion of its own fat, organic chicken works best, but the recipe can be made with non-organic chicken breasts if they are very lean.
If the chicken used excretes too much fat into the pan, drain the excess oil/fat until it is just a thin layer coating the bottom of the skillet before adding the broccoli and apples.
It’s important to slice the medium apples at the very last so that they are crisp and fresh. The combination of the raw apples and berries together with the hot food is lovely to look at and delightful to the palate.
Be generous with the lettuce leaves. They enhance the visual presentation and absorb excess oil.
Variations: Try green beans or Brussels sprouts in place of the broccoli, and turkey breast or pork chops in place of the chicken. Or, to create a dish for the sharper palate, replace the chicken breasts with organic turkey sausage and add chopped garlic to the apple/broccoli mix.
(Alternative cheese choice: “Rondele ® Light Garlic and Herb Cheese”)
Complete the meal with a fresh romaine salad, and this delectable recipe feeds four people.